2/28/10

The New Immortal

The New Immortal

By: Maeve Norton

“Hey you, come here.” I looked around for the woman calling me. “Over here,” she whispered. I walked towards the mysterious figure. “Come on, I don’t bite,” she said with a smile from the corner of her lips. I felt myself being drawn closer to her. Perhaps it was due to her beauty, but I wasn’t sure. It wasn’t a normal feeling; as if my wrists were tied to strings and she was in control of my direction. I was fixated on her. Her red lips complemented her pale, sparkling skin. It seemed that she was glistening, but maybe it was just the moonlight. I stopped in my place, stunned, when I noticed her eyes. They were an exquisite shade of green. Her pupils were fully dilated, almost cat-like. She had not taken her eyes off me except the slight look up and down my body. She kept my focus as I marched towards her. “I’ve been waiting for you,” she smiled.

“You have?” I questioned.

“Yes, of course. I’ve been waiting years for you.” She lifted her hand to my cheek. Her skin was cold and hard like marble, but calming. “You don’t remember me?” She looked disappointed.

“No, I’m sorry. Do I know you?” I managed to reply. This made her laugh.

“Of course, but you just don’t remember. Well this might make things more difficult, and certainly Amanrande will be dissatisfied. You do remember him don’t you?” I looked into her eyes, confused but lingering on every word she spoke. Did I know this woman? No, of course not. I certainly would have remembered someone like this, with such presence.

“No, I’m sorry, I don’t remember him. I’m actually quite sure that I don’t even know him.”

She drew in closer to me and our eyes locked for a moment as a warm wave passed through my body. Was I going insane? Questions flooded my mind. Just then, she leaned in and kissed me. A tingle went through my spine as I felt her cold lips against my own. She released me from her control and smiled.

“This will only hurt a little.”

I woke up the next morning in a panic. What happened last night? My mind in a frenzy, I quickly sat but my body felt like 100 needles were pressing down on me. A scream boomed from my chest. I looked down at my body and saw it pulsing, as if a thick burning solution was pumping through my veins. I looked around and saw a note on my bedside table.

Dear Aldon,

I am deeply sorry for any pain you may be feeling, but trust me you will be very grateful after it is through. You may wonder what happened to you last night. Shortly, you will become a vampire. This may come as a shock to you but this has been your destiny since you were a boy. Your father, Amanrande, is the king of our world, thus making you, the prince and the future heir. I am to be your wife, your queen. After the transformation is through, I will meet you in the Delano cemetery. Come alone, and welcome.

-Amaia

Suddenly, as if on cue, I felt a great seize through my body. All of my muscles contracted as a burning venom flew through my veins, causing great pain. From my toes to my head, my skin hardened, becoming marble like. I looked down to see my legs becoming more defined. The burning sensation then proceeded to my chest. This was when I noticed that my heart had stopped beating, and I lost it. I tried to get up, but this just made the toxins spread faster. My entire body was shaking out of control. The feeling was unbearable, and I was scared. Then, all of the sudden, it stopped. I stood up and walked to a mirror, feeling a sense of superiority. I stared at the mirror. Could that be me? My body was toned and shimmering. My lips were red and my eyes a dark green. I opened my mouth and saw perfectly sharpened fangs. I felt… amazing. As if I had amounted to my life long destiny. Remembering all I had learned from books and movies, I figured I’d have some super-natural powers, and I was not going to wait to test them out.

I bursted through my door, throwing it onto the ground. An elderly woman stood there shocked as I ran past her. She fell to the ground and let out a cry of help. I kept running until I reached the roof top. I had made it up five flights of stairs in a matter of seconds. This couldn’t be possible. I stood on the top of the building and took a few deep breaths. “I must be dead already,” I thought “So why not?” I ran as fast as I could to the end of the roof and jumped. Just as I expected, I landed on the next building. I let out a slight laugh. “Amazing.”

I spent the rest of my day testing out my new abilities. Running, jumping, my immense strength; it was all too good to be true. But the pit in my stomach only grew stronger. When night fell I made my way to the cemetery to meet Amaia. She stood elegantly near a staircase leading underground. “Hello dear, how was your first day?”

“Amazing,” I replied “I feel amazing, but hungry.”

“I thought so. Follow me.”

We proceeded down the staircase which seemed to disappear behind us. At the bottom was a grand hall holding what seemed to be a ceremony. A tall man with long white hair dressed in a ceremonial white robe walked towards me.

“That is Amanrande,” Amaia whispered.

I looked at him and he took my hands.

“My dear son, welcome home,” he said with such honest happiness. “Let the feast begin!”

WORD COUNT- 994

No comments:

Post a Comment